How to order
Welcome to our Website!
As you can see from the menu above, each page of our Web site is devoted to a single topic, such as breads, rolls, soups etc. We update the site often, so stop back and check us out frequently. We're always adding something new and delicious.
Thanks for visiting our site!
The Staff at Emily's
Emily's Bakery & Deli began life in 1906, when Joseph and Anton Pitz bought a bakery from J. A. Amberg. Called the Pitz Bakery, it was located at 218 E. 2nd Street in downtown Hastings. In 1946, Peter Dielentheis bought the bakery from the Pitzes. Dielentheis, a master baker trained in Germany, was a brother-in-law to Elmer and Emily Walker, grandparents of the current owners. Two years after he bought the business, Dielentheis sold it to the Walkers, who renamed it Hastings Home Bakery.
Emily and Elmer Walker
Young couple heading into bakery business
Emily and Elmer Walker
Celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary
The bakery was truly a family affair. Elmer and Emily Walker's six children were all part of the bakery scene as they grew up in Hastings. William "Buzz" Walker, Elmer and Emily's son, made baking his career. He worked with his parents in the business throughout the 1950s and 1960s. In 1965, Buzz became the owner of the newly built and renamed Midtown Bakery, which was located in the Midtown Shopping Center.
Stacking bakery shelves in 1969
Removing roasted turkeys from oven
June 28, 1986
Opened in 1965 and owned by Buzz Walker
Sharon and Buzz Walker
First owners of newly named Midtown Bakery
In 1980, Buzz's sister and brother-in-law, Peggy and Gene Fuchs, purchased the bakery. Peggy and Gene's son, Steve Fox, had started working for Buzz in January 1980. He soon was followed into the business by his siblings, Bob, Mike and sister Peggy. In 1985, Gene and Peggy opened a deli in the Masonic Block in downtown Hastings. It was at this point that they asked another daughter, Norine, to join them. She worked at the deli location until 1987. At that time, the old coffee bar/restaurant was torn out of the Midtown Bakery and the deli was moved there from its downtown locale.
Gene & Peg Fuchs
In front of new Midtown Bakery store
Working the mixer
By 1988, Peggy and Gene were ready to turn the keys over to their children, Steve and Norine. The new owners changed the name of the bakery and deli to Emily's Bakery and Deli, in honor of their grandmother.
In 1987, the year the deli and bakery merged
A certified master baker overseeing the oven
Began working in the bakery in the early 1980s
Norine Bishop and Steve Fox
Owners of Emily's Bakery & Deli
Since taking over the reins, Steve and Norine have expanded the store, first in the fall of 1990 by taking over adjacent space in the Midtown Center occupied by a shoe store and, in the summer of 1994, by opening an outlet store in Cottage Grove. After 12 years of operation, the Cottage Grove store closed in 2006. Meanwhile, the number of employees at Emily's in Hastings has grown to the current level of 40. Over the years, Emily's Bakery and Deli carefully built a reputation for both quality and service. Our staff is dedicated to providing a wide variety of delectable bakery and deli selections at very competitive prices. We welcome you to Emily's Bakery and Deli. We look forward to our association with you and hope that it is mutually beneficial. Stop in for a fresh cup of coffee and a roll or to order food for a party of 100!